Recreational Boating Information for the Northwest

Washington State Boater Education Card

Many recreational boaters in
Washington are required to
complete an approved boating
safety education course and
carry a Washington State Boater
Education Card. 

The Washington State Boater
Education Card is valid for your lifetime and meets requirements for recreational boating in Canada and many other states.

Boaters can take an education course in a classroomonline or a home study course. Once the course is completed and test passed, boaters need to send a completed application for their card. Note that most on-line courses will provide all necessary doc filings, payments and card distribution.

You are required to have a Boater Education Card if born after Jan 1st, 1955 and plan on operating a vessel with a 15-horsepower (or greater) motor or certain size sail boats. You must be 12 years of age to apply.

Click here to get started on your on-line class. 

​Other online classes offered:
Replacing your card

You may apply for a replacement Boater Education Card if your legal name has been changed, you need to correct personal information, or your card was lost, stolen, or destroyed. The fee for a replacement card is $5. To receive a replacement card:

  • Submit your completed affidavit, along with a check or money order for $5, made payable to Washington State Parks.  
  • Then submit via mail to:                                                                 Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission      Boating Programs                                                                                          P.O. Box 34333                                                                                         Seattle, WA 98124-1333

Please allow four weeks to process an affidavit and receive a replacement card. There is no temporary card available while you wait to receive your replacement.